Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation is a national nonprofit organization which supports mesothelioma patients and their families. This organization receives funding from a wide array of sources to help them carry out their services, including patients and their families, drug companies, and even former manufacturers of asbestos products, to name just a few. To help end this devastating illness, the organization fulfills several roles, including the following:
- Funding the most promising, highest quality research available anywhere
- Assisting patients to find American mesothelioma experts and the most current treatment information
- Advocating for federal mesothelioma research funding in Washington, D.C.
Raising National Awareness
To help raise national awareness of this devastating disease, in 2004 a group of the Meso Foundation’s members began Mesothelioma Awareness Day. Today, this event has become a national movement which takes place annually on September 26. The goal of this event is to get communities involved in the fight against this disease, raise awareness and help generate additional funding for mesothelioma research.
The Meso Foundation encourages citizens to bring this event to their city and state, providing instructions on how to do so. To bring Mesothelioma Awareness Day to your city and state, the organization recommends the following steps:
- Contact your city council, asking them what needs to be done to receive a proclamation which designates September 26 as Mesothelioma Awareness Day.
- Contact the state governor’s office for a one-time recognition of National Mesothelioma Awareness Day in your state.
- Individuals must contact the state legislature in both the Senate and House in order to receive a permanent state resolution which makes this an official annual event.
- Next, tell your story to your local and state governments, including how recognizing this event will help raise awareness of this disease.
- Inquire into the process of making this a permanent resolution and indicate your willingness to aid in this process, including an offer to provide the resolution text from the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation.
- Provide your state and local governments with all the relevant mesothelioma and asbestos information available and how your area is affected.
- Inform the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation of your efforts to bring the Mesothelioma Awareness Day to your area so these proclamations can be tracked across the nation.
- Contact Jessica Barker with the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation when your proclamation has been confirmed so your area can be added to the growing national map. She can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 879-3819.
Other Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation Events
In addition to their annual Mesothelioma Awareness Day celebration, members in this organization’s network of volunteers also help organize several other events to raise awareness and help fund continuing research into finding a cure. These events may focus on fundraising, memorial, or awareness events and frequently include walks, runs and lunches. To help raise an event in your area, the Meso Foundation asks you to call (877) 363-6376 or email them at email@example.com to discuss ideas and work out a plan to make it happen.
The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation believes in a cure for mesothelioma. Recognizing the heavy toll this disease takes, the energy and compassion of the mesothelioma community, and the moral, economic and legal aspects of asbestos use, this organization believes the resources needed to end this disease are already available. The goal of the Meso Foundation, then, is to mobilize these sources of support. To help locate these available resources and utilize them as effectively, efficiently and transparently as possible, this nonprofit organization arranges for the collaboration of patients, their families, advocates, and researchers who are dedicated to ending this vicious disease.