Marion Steel Co. (Marion)
The Marion Steel Company was a bar steel mill created by James R Conway in 1981 and based out of Marion, Ohio, where it received its name. The company was sold to its new parent company, Nucor Corporation, for $110 million in 2005. The company then had its name changed to Nucor Steel Marion. It then became a part of a group of subsidiaries owned by the companies that are collectively referred to as the Bar Steel Group.
At its most successful point, the company had a total production capacity of 400,000 tons. The steel produced by the company was charged with producing the metal for the agricultural, construction and highway sectors. As a supporter of the Ohio highway system, its steel saw usage in road signs and sign posts. Among its other parts were flats, angles, rebar, and round steel.
The Nucor Corporation is one of the most extensive producers of steel in the U.S. It is also well known for being the largest owner of what are often referred to as mini mills, which take advantage of arc furnace technology to melt scrap metal instead of attempting to extract iron from raw ore. This is a form of recycling and a much more energy efficient method of producing steel. According to the company, a ton of steel is recycled by the company every two seconds.
The Nucor Corporation was created in association with the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897. The business has gone through many different phases, from vehicle manufacturer to nuclear power plant creator to steel company, surviving several bankruptcies to become one of the most powerful steel companies in existence.
However, the Marion Steel Company has also been known to use asbestos in the past. The physical properties of asbestos were extremely appealing to the steel industry before the knowledge of the health risks became public. Asbestos is a natural mineral consisting of crystalline fibers. The fibers are thought to be harmless to the touch, but extremely dangerous if airborne and inhaled. The material was widely used as an insulator because it was fireproof, extremely heat resistant, and resistant to electricity. It was also natural, which led many people to assume that it was safe.
Ironically, the same properties that made the material effective as an insulator would later prove to be fatal. The strong fibers, once damaged, fragment to become trapped in the lungs. This leads to a fatal cancer known as mesothelioma, which slowly develops for decades before rapidly manifesting and giving patients an extremely poor life expectancy.