Dr. Craig W. Stevens
Craig W. Stevens M.D.
Craig W. Stevens is a senior member of the faculty at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute located in Tampa, Florida.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute 12902 Magnolia Drive Tampa, FL 33612
Education and TrainingDr. Stevens received his doctor of philosophy, or Ph.D., specifically in the area of tumor cell biology, from Northwestern University in 1987 and his medical doctorate from Northwestern in 1988. Dr. Stevens’ undergraduate work was completed prior, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he graduated in 1981 with a degree in biology. Upon finishing his education, Dr. Stevens completed internships and a residency at Georgetown University Hospital between 1989 and 1993 with concentrations in medicine and radiation oncology. He is currently Board Certified in Radiation Oncology. The H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute is associated with The University of South Florida, also located in Tampa. This coalition between the university and medical facility allows professionals such as Dr. Stevens to provide medical care, along with educational opportunities for students; permitting them access to both academic and hospital settings. Dr. Stevens’ affiliations with USF include the Department of Medicine—Oncologic Sciences, Radiology, and Clinical Affairs.
Research and PublicationsDr. Stevens’ interests in research are centered upon mesothelioma and other lung diseases and include radiation treatment planning for lung cancer, predicting tumor and normal tissue response to radiation, as well as DNA repair. Like most doctors with a Ph.D., and associations with an educational institution, Dr. Stevens has been involved in the research and publication of various peer reviewed articles; a sampling of which is provided below:
- Javedan K, Stevens C, Forster K. Compensator-based intensity-modulated radiation therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma post extrapleural pneumonectomy. J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2008 Oct;9(4):2799-2799. Pubmedid: 19020484.
- Erasmus J, Truong M, Smythe W, Munden R, Marom E, Rice D, VaporciyanAA, Walsh G, Sabloff B, Broemeling L, Stevens C, Pisters K, Podoloff D, Macapinlac H. Integrated computed tomography-positron emission tomography in patients with potentially resectable malignant pleural mesothelioma: Staging implications. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005 Jun;129(6):1364-1370. Pubmedid: 15942579.
- Rice D, Erasmus J, Stevens C, Vaporciyan A, Wu J, Tsao A, Walsh G, Swisher S, Hofstetter W, Ordonez N, Smythe W. Extended surgical staging for potentially resectable malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005 Dec;80(6):1988-1993. Pubmedid: 16305830.
- Stevens C, Forster K, Smythe W, Rice D. Radiotherapy for mesothelioma. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2005 Dec;19(6):1099-1115. Pubmedid: 16325126.
- Stevens C, Wong P, Rice D, Jeter M, Forster K, Zhu X. Treatment planning system evaluation for mesothelioma IMRT. Lung Cancer. 2005 Jul;49:S75-S81. Pubmedid: 15950806.
- Zhu X, Prado K, Liu H, Guerrero T, Jeter M, Liao Z, Rice D, Forster K, Stevens C. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for mesothelioma: impact of multileaf collimator leaf width and pencil beam size on planning quality and delivery efficiency. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005 Aug;62(5):1525-1534. Pubmedid: 16029815.
- Ahamad A, Stevens C, Smythe W, Liao Z, Vaporciyan A, Rice D, Walsh G, Guerrero T, Chang J, Bell B, Komaki R, Forster K. Promising early local control of malignant pleural mesothelioma following postoperative intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) to the chest. Cancer J. 2003;9(6):476-484. Pubmedid: 14740977.
- Ahamad A, Stevens C, Smythe W, Vaporciyan A, Komaki R, Kelly J, Liao Z, Starkschall G, Forster K. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy: a novel approach to the management of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003;55(3):768-775. Pubmedid: 12573764.
- Forster K, Smythe W, Starkschall G, Liao Z, Takanaka T, Kelly J, Vaporciyan A, Ahamad A, Dong L, Salehpour M, Komaki R, Stevens C. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy following extrapleural pneumonectomy for the treatment of malignant mesothelioma: clinical implementation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003;55(3):606-616. Pubmedid: 12573747.